[Dixielandjazz] Down in Jungle Town

James O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Tue Dec 14 08:09:13 PST 2010

Ken Mathieson wrote:

> Many verses work in a vocal context to set up
> the story line for the main theme, but on their
> own, they are frequently very inferior to the
> chorus in terms of melody and harmonic
> development, so instrumental recordings often
> trend to omit them.

"Sweethearts On Parade" fits this mold, IMHO, as does "By The Beautiful
Sea," and there are many others. I hunted and hunted for the verse to
"Wabash Blues," and was very disappointed with it when I finally found it.

But there are many verses that are musically excellent, with or without the
lyrics. "Avalon" is my favorite example of this. The verse to "Hindustan,"
in the parallel minor key of the verse isn't easy to "jazz up," but its
melodic use of harmonic minor gives an "exotic" or "Oriental" feel that fits
the tune. The verses to "Indiana," "I've Found a New Baby" and "Lazy River"
are pretty good, and there are LOTS more.

Jim O'Briant
Gilroy, CA
Tuba & Leader, The Zinfandel Stompers