[Dixielandjazz] Down in Jungle Town

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Tue Dec 14 05:16:15 PST 2010

Hi Sheik et al,

You're right about jazzers omitting verses because they were "hard (or less
fun) to jazz." Many verses work in a vocal context to set up the story line
for the main theme, but on their own, they are frequently very inferior to
the chorus in terms of melody and harmonic development, so instrumental
recordings often trend to omit them. The other factor was the 3-minute span
of 78 rpm recordings, which left the musicians with the choice of playing
the verse or omitting one or more solos. If the verse was musically less
interesting than the chorus, that would be a no-brainer.

Cheers,

Ken Mathieson
www.classicjazzorchestra.org.uk