[Dixielandjazz] Funeral for the old year

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 11 10:37:02 PST 2010

Once again on the first Sunday of 2011, January 2, Barbone Street is
at the Unitarian Society of Germantown PA (Philadelphia) playing the
music for a New Orleans Funeral Service for 2010, complete with casket.

This is an old tradition for several Unitarian churches in the USA,
initiated by the Reverend Melanie Morrell Ensminger of the Unitarian
Church in New Orleans.

Congregants write down what they wish closure for during 2010 on slips
of paper and toss them into the casket to the strains of Just A Closer
Walk With Thee, during the service.

We'll also be playing Lonesome Road, What A Friend We Have in Jesus,
Gonna Lay Down My Sword and Shield (Riverside), Just A Little While To
Stay Here, Precious Lord Take My Hand, Walking with The King, and
close with Saints as we march around the Church twice, and go outside
followed by the congregants in a second line.

Before the service, as the congregants gather, we will play several
selections including What  Wonderful World and That's Why They Call Me
Shine.

Service starts at 11 AM, ends about 12:15 PM. We start to play
gathering music about 10:40 AM.

Germantown Unitarian Church
6511 Lincoln Drive
Philadelphia PA 19119-3625
215-844-1157
Rev Kent Matties

http://www.usguu.org/

This is a beautiful church, a wonderful service by a hip Reverend and
a great way to start the New Year. Please join us if you are in the
area. Get there before we start to play as this is an SRO event.

If any list mates would like an order of service, please write me and
I'll be happy to oblige. Trad bands all over the world are a natural
for this type of event.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband