[Dixielandjazz] Banjos and Brass St Louis---Update

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Sat Dec 11 09:41:43 PST 2010

Hi Steve and All,
Wow is right.  I did not know the Chloe was in grave danger due to  being a
student at Webster University.  I say that with a smile since  Webster
University has a great faculty for contemporary jazz. so now I will lose  sleep
nights over whether Chloe becomes corrupted.  You guys are  playing well and
tight so perhaps you can prevent total corruption.

My claim to fame is that I was playing banjo at Chloe's first sit-in
session with Dixieland at the San Diego Jazz Festival in 2005.  It was  a set
late one morning with Dick Williams JazzSea Jammers.  She  "got it" instantly
in that first set, was on saxophone at that time.  (I  just had another email
from Joe Thompson saying she was on clarinet last  night.)  After that
first session I talked to her in the ladies  restroom for a couple of minutes.
She basically said that she just found  the ability to play this music
seemed to come instinctively and automatically  from someplace inside, that she
liked hearing it and "knew" she could play  it.

Thank goodness the weather report has improved for tomorrow's Rivermen
concert.  Beth has also said that the club is bringing Noel Kaletsky in for
the session and we know how much Red Lehr loves to play when Noel's on  board.
 I hear Red say one day that he was ready to give up playing,  then he met
Noel and was reborn, so to speak.

Since this discussion opened because of Chloe, let's bring up another
youngster in a set with Lehr and Kaletsky, Adam Swanson, 16 at the time of the
video.
>_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa8fT3Xslyc_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa8fT3Xslyc) <

Ginny

In a message dated 12/11/2010 2:02:41 A.M. Central Standard Time,