[Dixielandjazz] Marty Grosz

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 10 17:58:11 PST 2010

> Steve Voce <stevevoce at virginmedia.com> wrote
>
> Seeing Marty is inevitably an experience to put one in a great
> humour. But then he's a jazz humorist in the best tradition of Slim
> Gaillard, Eddie Condon and Jack Sheldon.
> A few years ago, at a jazz festival in Blackpool (England), he and
> Ken Peplowski struck sparks off each other and as a result worked up
> a comedy act which is hilarious.
> If you see them billed on the same programme you should do your
> damndest to get to hear them.
> It was years ago, but I remember that Ken said that the night before
> Marty had been showing him his techniques for pulling the birds
> (English slang for picking up girls).
> Ken wasn't sure about some of Marty's lines - like 'These are all my
> own teeth, you know...'
> Marty said that last time he was in Blackpool he'd met a girl that
> he'd never forget.
> 'I'm still seeing the doctor,' he said.

To get a feel for Marty's humor and patter, visit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57IAboScg40

Believe it or not, I saw Marty recently in company of an OKOM musician
who after hearing Marty's patter at a concert with the Hot Winds
opined that Marty talked too much. Seems this man didn't go there for
the talk, but wanted to hear more songs. Hot Winds played 21 songs in
3 and a half hours. IMO Marty connected superbly with the rest of the
audience excepting my friend.

For me, 21 songs by Marty and Hot Winds was heaven. Much better than
36 songs by a mediocre band. <grin> Takes all kinds I guess.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband