[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Funeral Planned for Dickie Taylor

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 10 15:41:59 PST 2010

A few weeks ago, list mate Bill Sargent posted about the death of
drummer Dickie Taylor who had led the current edition of The Dukes Of
Dixieland. There was some confusion about them, vs the Original Dukes
and whether Dickie had led the Dukes or not.

Here is an article from NOLA.com by Sharon Edwards of the N.O. Times
Picayune that gives some more information about Dickie. Note the last
2 paragraphs.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

Ronnie Kole sings praises of his former bandmate
Friday, December 10, 2010,
By Sharon Edwards, The Times Picayune
Local pianist and international performer Ronnie Kole has been busy
performing a Christmas concert at St. Louis Cathedral with Kitty
Cleveland and John Perkins; a benefit for Ohana Pier and before that,
for Safe Harbor. But he took time out last week to note the passing of
Dickie Taylor of Lacombe.
“Dickie joined me in the early ‘60’s as the drummer with Ronnie Kole
and the Heavyweights. After we left the Al Hirt Club and opened Kole’s
Corner, we cut the group down to a trio and of course he was the
drummer/percussionist of the original Ronnie Kole Trio for 15-plus
years,” he said.
Kole said there was a jazz funeral planned by musicians, to remember
Taylor and to be with Bobby, his wife of 40 years, his children and
grandchildren.
Taylor was a native of Chicago, and a resident of Lacombe for the past
40 years. He was a drummer with Kole’s trio and many other bands, and
led the Dukes of Dixieland for the past 20 years.