[Dixielandjazz] Marty Grosz

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Dec 10 13:10:55 PST 2010

Marek Boym wrote [in part]:.........many years ago I purchased a Marty Grosz LP recorded either at the Gaslight or Your Father's Moustache.
> A friend wanted it badly, I gave it to him, he passed (or lent) it to someone else, and  it got lost.  But I am quite sure that it was recorded long before the Soprano Summit came into being.

Dear Marek,
My.
It's amazing how DJML threads have a habit of jumping - and leaving the original question behind.
Is one of these the Marty Grosz LP you recall?

"Banjo At The Gaslight Club" Marty Grosz And His Gaslighters.  Audio Fidelity AFLP1933
Max Kaminsky (t) Cutty Cutshall (tb) Frank Chace (cl) Don Ewell, Gene Schroeder (p) Marty Grosz (bj) John Dengler (tu,bassax) Don MacLean (d)
Chicago, December 7, 8, 9, 10 & 11, 1959
    Bye Bye Blues
    Bill Bailey
    Hello My Baby
    Shine On, Harvest Moon
    Rufus Rastus Johnson Brown
    Dixie
    Hot Time In The Old Town Tonight
    Wild Irish Rose
    Swanee river
    Ida
    I Had A Dream Dear
    When You and I Were Young, Maggie

or

"Roaring Twenties At The Gaslight".  Audio Fidelity AFLP1935
same personnel and same dates.
    Collegiate
    Yes, We Have No Bananas
    Im My Merry Oldsmobile
    Wait Till The Sun Shines Nelly
    My Gal Sal
    In The Shade Of The Old Apple Tree
    Frankie and Johnny
    Rosie You Are My Posie
    Meet Me Tonight In Dreamland
    There'll Be Some Changes Made
    Down In Jungle Town
    Just Funky

The first Soprano Summit LP was recorded in December 1973.
The first issued Soprano Summit LP with Marty was recorded on 20 April (my birthday, and significant other).
Very kind regards,
Bill.