[Dixielandjazz] Marty Grosz

Steve Voce stevevoce at virginmedia.com
Fri Dec 10 10:27:41 PST 2010

Seeing Marty is inevitably an experience to put one in a great humour. But then he's a jazz humorist in the best tradition of Slim Gaillard, Eddie Condon and Jack Sheldon.
A few years ago, at a jazz festival in Blackpool (England), he and Ken Peplowski struck sparks off each other and as a result worked up a comedy act which is hilarious.
If you see them billed on the same programme you should do your damndest to get to hear them.
It was years ago, but I remember that Ken said that the night before Marty had been showing him his techniques for pulling the birds (English slang for picking up girls).
Ken wasn't sure about some of Marty's lines - like 'These are all my own teeth, you know...'
Marty said that last time he was in Blackpool he'd met a girl that he'd never forget.
'I'm still seeing the doctor,' he said.

Steve Voce