[Dixielandjazz] Marty Grosz

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 10 08:17:59 PST 2010

On Dec 10, 2010, at 9:08 AM, Marek Boym wrote:

> Hi,
> I don't remember the year, but many years ago I purchased a Marty
> Grosz LP recorded either at the Gaslight or Your Father's Moustache.
> A friend wanted it badly, I gave it to him, he passed (or lent) it to
> someone else, and  it got lost.  But I am quite sure that it was
> recorded long before the Soprano Summit came into being.
> Cheers

Dear Marek:

One of my favorites was an album he appeared on with Albert Nicholas
plus the Art Hodes All Star Stompers. Nicholas, Hodes, Nappy Trottier
tpt, Floyd O'Brien tb, Mike Wallbridge tuba, and Fred Lohlman dms,
plus Grosz. It was recorded in studio in Chicago circa late 1950s, and
remastered by Delmark in 2000 or 2001 as I recall.

I played 2 gigs with him last year and was enthralled by his rhythmic
pulse, his vocals and his humor. He knows thousands of songs and is a
fountain of knowledge about jazz.

As good as he is, we was obscure until the mid 1970s when he joined
Soprano Summit. His "Hot Winds" group plays once a year for the Tri-
State Jazz Society in  the Greater Philadelphia Area and is a joy to
behold.

Somewhere I think you can get recordings of rehearsals he did with
Jabbo Smith when he was trying to get him back on the music scene
after Jabbo had retired.

To hear Marty with an impressive China Boy (MKOM with some modern
chord extensions) at Ascona 2005,   Randy Reinhart, John Allred, John
Sheridan, Frank Robertscheuten, tenor;  Nico Gastreich, bass; Moritz
Gastreich drums, go to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLA42vWUCXk

Cheers,
Steve Barbone