[Dixielandjazz] JAZZ ARCHIVIST--GREAT ISSUE!

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Wed Dec 8 18:30:27 PST 2010

From:  Norman Vickers, Jazz Society of Pensacola

See correspondence below with Bruce Boyd Raeburn, Director Tulane Jazz
Archives.  ( Bruce is son of late  bandleader great Boyd Raeburn)  The
Tulane Jazz Archivist just came out with a wonderful quarterly issue.  One
article, about 20 pages, was by New Orleans clarinetist Michael G. White.
Michael wrote about his maturing process  in performing with a New Orleans
marching band.

Second article  was by Don Marquis, former curator of the New Orleans Jazz
Collection, now retired.  Don wrote about how he happened to come to New
Orleans and the jobs he took before he became the curator.  Don still lives
in NO and is a wonderful jazz resource.  He wrote about his research for his
book about first jazz trumpeter, Buddy Bolden.

Unfortunately, you'll have to wait-see Bruce's comments-until it is posted
on the Tulane website.  I'll try to remind you when that occurs in about 3
months.  Meantime, you can search Michael White on You Tube or his
recordings.  He is frequent guest of Wynton Marsalis at Dizzy's Club at
Lincoln Center in NYC.  When not engaged in music, Dr. White teaches Spanish
at Xavier University of Louisiana.