[Dixielandjazz] What I learned in Jazz Class Part 2

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 7 14:27:16 PST 2010

"Jazz has the technique of classical music, the feeling of blues, and
the hope of children everywhere."
"I know what troubles musicians now when I watch and listen to them
play."
"My ties to jazz were through Bleeding Gums Murphy, a character on a
TV show called the Simpsons. It comes on at 8pm on Sunday nights."
"I was surprised to find out about the different styles of jazz like
hard, be, and post bops."
"I thought that jazz was a certain amount of instruments that you
played and was composed for you(,) not believing that it was their
improvisation and the jazz musicians who made up the music on the spot
doing what they wanted to do with the tunes. I know this is hard to
explain but it is true."
"When I try to play jazz, I mess around with the instruments pounding
out random notes that were just me making nonsense up and it sounding
like a big pile of crap."
"Jazz is more profound when it doesn't help pay the bills."
"The first thing I learned in jazz history that happy birthday is the
most played jazz classic. You want to hear happy birthday in swing
BAM! You got it You want to hear happy birthday in classic jazz BAM!
You got it. You want to hear happy birthday in be bop BAM! You go(t)
it. It's great The second thing I learned is free jazz is where its
at. I think that I could be a free jazz musician cause it all sounds
like a drunk 7 year old jamming down on some notes and making the
sweet sweet music fly. Free jazz was defiantly the best part of the
class but unfortunately you didn't play free jazz enough. My one
suggestion for your next class is that you start out every class with
a 5 minute free jazz intro. Over all and all, I defiantly learned a
lot in jazz history class."
"Hip hop and pop are fine, going out for fame and bling bling. Jazz
has been around for a while, is out of style, but can really sing."
"Jazz musicians sing and play music because they can't contain their
passions. Their music starts in the soul radiates out in every
direction."
"Jazz is a very dynamic kind of music. Loud and Soft.
"Swing makes you want to get up and dance and free jazz just makes you
want to get up."
"If any kind of music can calm a hectic day, its cool jazz. If you
feel like going out and dancing, however there is ragtime."
"In conclusion, jazz is music."
"Jazz has come from the fields of New Orleans to my 2pm class, and
beyond."
"Unlike other forms of music, jazz is listened to by old people as
well as us."
"I learned what intros and outros were in this class. Now I look for
them when I go searching for good music."
"I went to do my (jazz) listening report at the house of blues."
"Jazz has taught me a lot about the Civil War, World War I, and World
War II."
"I thought of jazz as a thing of the past, something old African
American men listened to on old record players while sitting on their
front porches smoking cigars."
"Steve Turre has taught me that sea shells should be left on the
ground instead of his mouth."
"Over the course of the semester my knowledge of jazz has gone from
nothing to practically nothing."
"Even though I probably won't listen to jazz after this semester, it
has given me a greater appreciation of movies."
"My favorite person to study was Sonny Rollins. He knew that he had to
throw his saxophone off the bridge when he heard how good Charlie
Parker was."
"Jazz to me was the 'shoo opps' from groups in streets downtown in the
olden, golden days."
"Happy birthday That song is just amazing to me."
"My all-time favorite jazz artist to listen to was Buddy Baldwin, AKA
"the jazz king". I think I'm going to go out and buy a couple of his
CDs?
"I was surprised to find musicians with such odd names such as Vilage
Von Guard."
"Jazz is not as popular with all of the adolescence going around."
"I like jazz more in books than on cds."
"I remember coming into class with no facts but a whole plate of
bullshit to dish out."?
"I found myself learning about Blues, Early Jazz, Dixieland, Swing, Be
Bop, Brazilian, Afro-Cuban, Cool Jazz, Hard Bop, Free Jazz, Third
Stream, Japanese, Post Bop, Fusion, Smooth, Modern Jazz, and the list
goes on."
" 'Call and Respond' is where one musician plays and the other one
tries too hard to figure out what he's doing."
"The people in Dixie Land originated jazz music."
"Jazz is now a part of me from 2pm-3:15pm every Tuesday and Thursday."
"Jazz started in the fields where they used hand-me-down instruments
and wore hand-me-down clothes."
"If Wynton Marsalis said jazz was dead in the 1970's, what was he
playing at the time".
"Weather Report was the final big band back in the day."
"My girlfriend and I both agreed the next morning that jazz-club food
was something we could've done without."
"Jazz agitates me."
"I like jazz, but I need something else besides rhythm, melody, and
harmony."
"I had no clue that so many (musicians) used drugs. Thinking about
that, there is no doubt that they are living the life I dream of. They
are spending money on things that they don't really need or even want."
"I noticed that there weren't many jazz women in our textbook until I
looked to see that the author was a guy. All guys are sexist, women
bashers, who don't ever give us our credit."
"The part I most enjoyed was studying and appreciating slavery.'
"Its hard to imagine where Winton Marsalis gets his ideas from."
"I'd like to see midgets getting bribed in every jazz club. Not just
with Birdland. I'm of course talking about the jazz club, not Charlie
Parker."
"We've had our share of good times and bad times over the semester. By
bad times, I mean my tests."
"Count Bassie WAS the swing era".
"This class increased my intelligence with aptitude."
"Duke Ellington had the ability to turn jazz compositions into pure
magic."
"Swing died in World War II when the soloists took over."
"I could go on and on about jazz, but I won't.?
"Tony Williams was my favorite drummer because his group, Lifetime, is
the same name as my favorite channel that I watch."
"How do the musicians know what to play when their eyes were closed
the whole time? And what was with the piano player talking while he
played his solos. His musician friends must have been thought he was
crazy."
"I technically wasn't in your class but I was happy to be along for
the ride."
"I was in jazz band in high school but we didn't play jazz music."
"Dizzie Gillespie was the one who jammed on the drums."
"I thought doing our listening report would be a painful sort of
torture."
"I was bummed out at the beginning of the semester because I thought
Louis Armstrong was going to be one of the guest lecturers."