[Dixielandjazz] San Diego festival

Janie McCue Lynch janie39 at socal.rr.com
Sat Dec 4 08:50:40 PST 2010

Hi, Ken...

We were also there, and I agree with your observations.  I did see a lot of
nice pictures and comments on Facebook, btw.

Chloe has grown and grown in her abilities and musical sophistication...and
when you see this tiny young woman handling a sax that is almost bigger than
she is, and producing the sounds she does...wow!

Definitely "more good music going on than time to see it all," but we heard
and enjoyed as much as we could.  And "foyer listening" has become a major
pleasure.

Janie McCue Lynch

Janie39 at socal.rr.com

Unless I missed it, I haven't seen any comments about the San Diego
festival.
I was there Thursday through Sunday, so I'll give a few observations.  I
thought
the festival was terrific in every way.  Good venues, good scheduling, the
hotel
operating nicely, and most important----very, very good music with variety
for
all tastes of pre-bebop styles.  Clarinet and saxophone aficionados  had
Dave
Bennett, Anita Thomas, Tim Laughlin, Chloe Feoranzo, Kim Cusack and the fine

reed players of the bands to hear.  Clint Baker (cornet) and the Grand
Dominion
regulars have adjusted to each other and are a powerhouse to hear.  Chloe is
far
more than the teenage phenom of the past 2 or 3 years and is a major player
of
both sax and clarinet.  Yes, a smaller festival than the glory days, but
with much
talent and 5 venues (plus foyer listening) going on there is still more good
music
going on than time to see it all.

Ken Gates   Ventura, CA