[Dixielandjazz] San Diego festival

Ken Gates kwg28 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Dec 4 08:04:16 PST 2010

Unless I missed it, I haven't seen any comments about the San Diego festival.
I was there Thursday through Sunday, so I'll give a few observations.  I thought
the festival was terrific in every way.  Good venues, good scheduling, the hotel
operating nicely, and most important----very, very good music with variety for
all tastes of pre-bebop styles.  Clarinet and saxophone aficionados  had Dave
Bennett, Anita Thomas, Tim Laughlin, Chloe Feoranzo, Kim Cusack and the fine
reed players of the bands to hear.  Clint Baker (cornet) and the Grand Dominion
regulars have adjusted to each other and are a powerhouse to hear.  Chloe is far
more than the teenage phenom of the past 2 or 3 years and is a major player of
both sax and clarinet.  Yes, a smaller festival than the glory days, but with much
talent and 5 venues (plus foyer listening) going on there is still more good music
going on than time to see it all.

Ken Gates   Ventura, CA