[Dixielandjazz] Leonard Cohen

artwoo artwoo at aol.com
Tue Dec 7 03:04:19 PST 2010

Hi: I just returned from an enjoyable Leonard Cohen concert in Oakland which lasted 3 1/2 hrs and since I can't sleep (it's 2:54am currently) I thought a post would be in order.

Cohen's voice and persona are unique and were enhanced by an outstanding 9 piece musical ensemble which performed with emotional tonality and masterful virtuosity, never over-powering the star.

Each musician was multi-instrumental; everything was crafted to suit the mood of Cohen's songs which range from sentimental to raw.

http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/band2008.html

Cohen remains in control but at the same time gives his ensemble great respect by sharing the spotlight with each performer.

He introduced each musician with heartfelt remarks. In particular he said the drummer was a "Sculptor of Silence."

To me, this is the ultimate compliment a drummer can receive. (Sidemen can understand this).

The connection to OKOM is that this performance was a perfect example of a star performer's efforts being magnified by an outstanding ensemble performance.

Also, no performer since Al Jolson has gotten on bended knees (on stage!)  as much as Cohen.

Cohen's current tour goes to Portland Dec 8th and ends in Las Vegas at Caesar's Palace on Dec 11th.

With best regards,
Art Wood