[Dixielandjazz] Where are the musical jobs?

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 15:56:36 PST 2010

Hello,
Not being a musician, I do not know about things like needing or not
needing a "real" job.
My friend George Huxley led a band in which he was the only one with a
day job (and had a sticker "Real musicians have a day job" on his sax
case).   Many have not, and incessantly travel all over the place.

Now, "staure" is another matter.  OK, there was only one Armstrong and
one Bix, and Bechet, Hodges and Jack Teagarden had to invent their
language.  But there certainly are musicians of the stature of the
next generation giants (not necessarily chronologically, but rather -
misically), and Dan Barrett certainly is one of them.  I have already
mentioned another more or less contemporary musician - "the dirty
bopper" (Bruce Turner for American listmates), who certainly was of a
stature similar to many admired American alto players.  And Warren
Vache, Randy Sandke, Enrico Tomasso (he's British, not Italian),
Matthias Saufert (German) certainly do not fall from the giants of the
swing era.  and these are just a few.  And what about the recently
deceased Kenny Davern and Ruby Braff, and the very much alive Bob
Wilber?  Not so long ago they, too, were put down by the powers that
be, i.e. - the critical community.
Cheers,
Marek (enjoying Fuller's London Pride - wow, isn't it good!)