[Dixielandjazz] Mabel's Dream and Saloon

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Dec 6 13:59:41 PST 2010

Marvin Ipswitch wrote [in part]:
> There's no copyright date on the xerox I have. At the bottom it reads
> "Copyright Jack Mills, New York City." .......
> I looked at Google to try and access their copies of the Library of Congress
> copyright books, to no avail. But I did find something else of interest, a
> tune by Ike Smith that was never recorded.
> Lake Street Blues
> words and melody by Ike Smith
> c May 19, 1924
> arr. by Lovie Austin
> Ike Smith, Chicago

Dear Marvin,
I googled and found your source.
I also found one you missed:
Hie Henry
w and melody by I. S.,
arr. Lovie Austin, both of U.S.; in A flat. © June 5, 1924; E 589004
Ike Smith, Chicago. 8784

Using the the same source, I found a reference to:
• Catalog of copyright entries: Part 3, Volume 18, Issue 2
Library of Congress. Copyright Office - 1924 - Snippet view
22161 Mabel's dream ; melody Ike Smith, of US © 1 c. Nov. 16. 1923: E 577(184; Jack Mills, inc.. New York. ...

But I was unable to open the actual page at large scale to verify it.
However, we seem to have the "Mabel's Dream" copyright date as November 19, 1923.
Very kind regards,
Bill.