[Dixielandjazz] Johnny guarnieri

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Sat Dec 4 18:31:27 PST 2010

On Agustin's site thereisjazzaftercoltrane   ---  there's a text of Joe Turner
talking about pianists of the greatest relevance to this site.  And Joe cites
Johnny Guarnieri as the outstanding impersonator of other pianists, something
which came to mind when some years ago I acquired a Vic Dickenson quartet LP,
since JG there playfully delivers quite a lot of the sorts of thing Earl Hines
was doing as a band or quartet pianist at the time.

Quite apart from the incredible manic stride he went in for later on --Ken
Gallacher asking him how that was possible was almost knocked over when JG said
"you mean this?" and did the Trolley Song after the fashion of Donald Lambert --
the delicacy of which JG was capable can boggle the mind. Pre-CD I passed on a
tape of the Guarnieri solo Ellington set to a young German pianist of more
modernist interests and a strong European background. He'd never heard quite
that combination of all the subtleties of a player of Debussy with everything
else.

It's there in the early solo recordings too. With dynamics from fff to ppp at
least. Just because he could do the imitations didn't mean he lacked an
individual voice., either/