[Dixielandjazz] The San Diego Festival

Fred Hoeptner fredhep at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 4 16:45:21 PST 2010

My wife and I thought that the San Diego jazz festival this year was a real
winner and second Ken's comments. There was excellent attendance at all the
venues that I visited, probably better than last year when the contraction
began. My favorite bands, High Sierra, Yerba Buena, Uptown Lowdown, and
Titanic, were all there. The audience interest in Billy Mata and the Texas
Tradition and Tom Rigney and Flambeau, both of whose styles lie somewhat
outside the bounds of strict trad jazz, was gratifying. Mata plays authentic
western swing of the Bob Wills variety which I haven't heard in many years.

For some unknown reason the piano sessions in the foyer were scheduled for
only 20 minutes, hardly enough time to experience much of the performers'
repertoires.

Fred Hoeptner

La Crescenta, CA

Message: 11