[Dixielandjazz] Seeking Information on "Saloon"

James O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Wed Dec 1 09:44:41 PST 2010

Ginny wrote:

> Can some of you provide me with additional
> information on the tune, "Saloon"?  Who is
> composer and lyricist?  Date of copyright?
> Was it written as a prohibition song?

The Anderson Collection lead sheet (on page 2711 of the collection) says
that the music is by Ernest R. Ball & lyrics are by George Whiting. The page
calls it a "Mock Ballad," and gives a date of 1921. Can't verify the
accuracy, but that at least gives you a starting point....

Jim O'Briant
Gilroy, CA
Tuba & Leader, The Zinfandel Stompers