[Dixielandjazz] Bud Freeman on Clarinet

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Aug 26 17:59:55 PDT 2010

Dear Marek and Steve,
In addition to playing clarinet on the well-known "The Buzzard" and "Tillie's Downtown Now" [two takes each] by Bud Freeman And His Windy City Five: Bunny Berigan (t) Bud Freeman (cl,ts) Claude Thornhill (p) Eddie Condon (g) Grachan Moncur (sb) Cozy Cole (d) recorded for Parlophone in New York on 4 December 1935, Bud also plays clarinet behind singer Marilyn Ross accompanied by Will Bradley (tb) Bud Freeman (cl) Bus Davis (p) Al Hall (sb) made for Ibis in 1946.
"Hard Hearted Hannah" and "I'm One of God's Children".
I have these two sides. The clarinet playing is quite prominent on both tunes, but no solos apart from sharing briefly with Will Bradley on "Wings".

Bud is also listed as playing both clarinet and tenor with the Signature LP 'The Best Of Broadway' featuring Yank Lawson And The Yankee Clippers: Yank Lawson (t) Bill Stegmeyer (cl) Bud Freeman (cl/ts) Lou Stein (p) Jack Lesberg (sb) Cliff Leeman (d) recorded in New York in 1959.

He also played clarinet in the reed section with the Joe Haymes (1934) and Tommy Dorsey (1936-38) orchestras, but no solos to my knowledge.
Very kind regards,
Bill.