[Dixielandjazz] Cornetist King Fisher

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Aug 26 15:52:15 PDT 2010

prijb007 at comcast.net asked:
> Has anyone heard of King in Australia and his whereabouts? I knew him and his dad Fred Fisher (Schnicklefritz) in Aspen where he grew up. He went to the great down under in 1959, and Fred went to see him in Sidney, but never said much about the trip.

Dear Bob,
King Fisher had a successful jazz career in Australia in the 1960s with several records to his credit.
I met him at the annual Australian Jazz Convention in Melbourne in 1960. He then moved to Perth, Western Australia and played with the Riverside Jazz Band there before moving to Sydney in 1962 where he fronted his own band (refer George Buck's Jazzology JCD-13, King Fisher and His All-Stars) and worked with the Ray Price Quartet.
He retired from music due, I seem to recall, with a lip/jaw problem.
I spoke to him a year or so back and he is living in the Port Pirie area, South Australia.
I have his current address and phone number.
We met his dad Freddie not long before he died when he visited King in Sydney, but my memory will not throw up a date. Probably the mid-late 1960s.
DJML listmate Don Ingle played with Freddie's last band and may be able to add something, which was the subject of a DJML thread some years back and buried in the archives. Don's 'younger' memory may be better than mine.
So might that of my mate, DJMLer Jack Mitchell.
Very kind regards,
Bill.