[Dixielandjazz] The Savory Collection .

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 17 20:21:07 PDT 2010

On Aug 17, 2010, at 7:03 PM, Bill Haesler wrote:

> Stephen G Barbone provided the following information:
>>
>> NY TIMES - By LARRY ROHTER - 8-17-10
>> Museum Acquires Storied Trove of Performances by Jazz Greats
>>
>> For decades jazz cognoscenti have talked reverently of “the Savory
>> Collection.” Recorded from radio broadcasts in the late 1930s by an
>> audio engineer named William Savory, it was known to include
>> extended live performances by some of the most honored names in
>> jazz — etc., etc.......
>
> Dear Steve,
> William Savory?
> Not Bill Savory?
> The technical genius who was responsible for Columbia's remastering
> of the secret acetates commissioned by Albert Marx of the famous
> 1938 Benny Goodman Carnegie Hall Concert.
> Yep.
> I never forget a face.
> *>)
> What a pity that Mr Rohter overlooked that important fact in his
> article.
> We certainly breathlessly await the release of the 'Best of the
> Savory Collection' on CD.
> Very kind regards,
> Bill.

Dear Bill:

I missed it too. So did Wikipedia. Yep, Bill Savory, a/k/a William
Desavouretin, born on the Ocean Liner Mauretania, circa 1916 and was
married to BG's singer Helen Ward. During WW 2 he helped develop radar
for American night fighter aircraft, worked in electronic
communications and surveillance devices after the big war, and
according to his son, was a spook agent connected with the CIA. And as
you know, he helped develop the 33 rpm long playing record.

One big problem . . . "Copyright status". There was no agreement for
distribution rights between performer and radio stations in the 1930s.
So once the records are digitalized and perhaps issued on CD, who will
own the copyrights and will that fight delay the distribution? We
might be dead by the time it all sorts out.

Perhaps we will be able to hear them at the National Jazz Museum in
Harlem?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband