[Dixielandjazz] That elusive definition of jazz

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Tue Aug 17 19:02:21 PDT 2010

Mart, I'm with you.  It was a band director who brought the love of  music
to me.  He sent us home with assignments of "listening  homework".  He
organized a jazz band for those who wanted to try it,  albeit, it was swing and
forward in 1954 -- but that's to be forgiven since he  opened up my ears far
wider than they were.

He was a percussionist and my recall is that at that time he took some
risks by jazzing up the cadences for our marching band also.  And I know he
produced some music educators as a result along with at least one professional
 who was in band same years as me.
Ginny

In a message dated 8/17/2010 4:06:14 P.M. Central Daylight Time,