[Dixielandjazz] The Savory Collection Part 3

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 17 15:28:54 PDT 2010

These were sent in 3 parts because they ar too long to get popsted in
one shot. I apologize for their length but felt this is an important
bit of information.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

 From Disc to Digital

“This has been on my mind for 30 years,” Mr. Schoenberg said. “I
cultivated and pestered Bill Savory, who never let me hear a damn
thing and wouldn’t even tell me what was in the collection besides
Benny Goodman,” for whom Mr. Schoenberg, 52, used to work.

But because of deterioration, converting the 975 surviving discs to
digital form and making them playable is a challenge. Mr. Schoenberg
estimates that “25 percent are in excellent shape,” he said, “half are
compromised but salvageable, and 25 percent are in really bad
condition,” of which perhaps 5 percent are “in such a state that they
will tolerate only one play” before starting to flake.

The transfer of the Savory collection from disc to digital form is
being done by Doug Pomeroy, a recording engineer in Brooklyn who
specializes in audio restorations and has worked on more than 100 CD
reissues, among them projects involving music by Louis Armstrong and
Woody Guthrie. The process involves numerous steps, beginning with
cleaning the discs by hand and proceeding through pitch correction,
noise removal, playback equalization, mixing and mastering.

“As fate would have it, a couple of the most interesting Count Basie
things are so badly corroded that it took me two afternoons and 47
splices just to put one of them back together again,” Mr. Pomeroy said
while working on yet another Basie tune, a shuffle featuring Lester
Young on clarinet rather than saxophone, his main instrument. “In
almost every case I’ve been able to get a complete performance, but it
can be very fatiguing to hear the same skip over and over again and
have to close the gap digitally.”

Initially, Mr. Pomeroy was reluctant to take on the project, saying he
had too much of a backlog to accept new work. But as Mr. Schoenberg
recalled their initial conversation, standing in Mr. Pomeroy’s studio
one morning last month, “when I said ‘It’s Bill Savory,’ he said,
‘I’ll see you tomorrow morning.’ ”

Mr. Schoenberg said the museum planned to make as much as possible of
the Savory collection publicly available at its Harlem home and
eventually online. But the copyright status of the recorded material
is complicated, which could inhibit plans to share the music. While
the museum has title to Mr. Savory’s discs as physical objects, the
same cannot be said of the music on the discs.

“The short answer is that ownership is unclear,” said June M. Besek,
executive director of the Kernochan Center for Law, Media and the Arts
at the Columbia UniversitySchool of Law. “There was never any
arrangement for distribution of copies” in contracts between
performers and radio stations in the 1930s, she explained, “because it
was never envisioned that there would be such a distribution, so
somewhere between the radio station and the band is where the
ownership would lay.”

At 70 years’ remove, however, the bands, and even some of the radio
networks that broadcast the performances, no longer exist, and
tracking down all the heirs of the individual musicians who played in
the orchestras is nearly impossible.

In the meantime Mr. Pomeroy is plunging ahead. He has digitized just
over 100 of the discs so far, and knows that additional challenges —
and delights — await him.

“Every one of these discs is an unexpected discovery,” he said. “It’s
an education for me. I can hardly wait to transfer some of this stuff
because I am so eager to hear it, to find out what’s there and solve
all the mysteries that are there.”