[Dixielandjazz] Dick Hyman with BG (was Benny Goodman, Teddy Wilson, Jess Stacy)

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 09:55:34 PDT 2010

In summation as to the discussion of musicians' movie bios,

With reference to the inaccuracies described in the "Gene Krupa Story", I
refer
you to Bob Ringwald's remark yesterday as to the lack of authenticity in
"The Glenn Miller Story"........that probably pretty much sums it up for all
of them

And as to Hal Vickey's remark about "The Fabulous Dorseys", we know that was
all a heap of crap.  The movie gave you the impression that in 1947
everything was all peace and harmony between the brothers whereas we know
they were estranged from the time of Tommy's walkout in 1935 until they got
back together in 1953  They quite obviously just made the movie for the
money and to add insult to injury, played themselves in the movie rather
than having accomplished actors doing so.

I believe the true mark of a poor actor is one who cannot even be convincing
when portraying himself.

Incidentally, if you happen to remember the tune "Sisters" from "White
Christmas" (also recorded by Rosemary and Betty Clooney), Irving Berlin
wrote special lyrics for it for the Dorseys which they recorded under the
title "Brothers"

I happen to have a copy of it and suspect that it is quite rare as it was
recorded on the Bell label, not distributed to record stores but rather drug
& variety stores. At the time the suggested retail price for singles was 89
cents, Bell records were pre-priced at 39 cents.

Tides
HC