[Dixielandjazz] The Glenn Miller Story, The Film

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 16:37:41 PDT 2010

While I had no knowledge of it when the movie first came out, as I've seen
it in recent years on TV, I've always wondered why they never made any
reference to him being arranger for the Dorsey Brothers orchestra.

They showed him in the early stages of trying to start his music career but
they completely disregarded the Dorsey connection

While I believe that Benny Goodman's original recordings were used in the
bio of his life, I noticed that the music in "The Glenn Miller Story" (while
excellently reproduced) were not Miller originals, but the
Universal-International Orchestra conducted by Joseph Gershenson.

The only plausible explanation that I can come up with is the fact that
Decca Records secured rights to issue a soundtrack album and all of Glenn's
masters were on RCA Victor..

If anyone can come up with something that makes more sense,  I'm open to it.

Tides
HC

--
Some men see things as they are and say why....I dream things that never
were and say why not            -