[Dixielandjazz] Threepenny Opera.

macjazz macjazz at comcast.net
Fri Aug 13 12:44:25 PDT 2010

Can someone recommend a good recording of this?  I've never heard it and I'm
getting damn tired of having to say that.

No one has responded because its a very hard question to answer.

To my knowledge there is are no recordings of the general music of the show
other than the cast albums themselves.  There are several of those. About
the most accessible is MGM E3121.  It is quite good, authentic and does well
with the English translations.

There are others in German, but I do not have access to the numbers.

The New York Shakespeare Company also issued one a few years ago as a
Columbia Master works.. Columbia 1925(?). I don't like it as well but that
may just be because I'm used to the first one.

I believe there is another (in German) on London, but have not heard it in
years.

(WARNING: The rest of this is more than you want to know unless you want to
know it )

The problem is the music itself.  (Bertolt) Brecht and composer (Kurt) Weill
were doing "something special."  Both were German, Weill was Jewish (Brecht
may have been, I don't know) and they were Naturalists in the late
20's/early 1930s.  They worked to reflect the very difficult times Europe in
general and Germany in particular were going through.  (This is the same era
and the same style of music you find a later show, Cabaret, but Cabaret is
much more commercial and smoothed out, as coarse as it is.)

Brecht chose to adapt a play from the 1700s called "The Beggars Opera."  It
was based on pimps, prostitutes, thieves and pickpockets and so is Three
Penny.

The music reflects the coarse times and people and is performed on "whatever
was available to be stolen" Again (as was copied in Cabaret) the harmonies
are very open and harsh. The general feeling reflects deep American blues in
that it is very "Low Down" as done by lowdown people. (Don't misunderstand
that line.  It is not a blues or even bluesy. Just nasty low down.)

At the same time Weill is a major composer and working to make "good" low
down nasty music. ^The original score called for Player 1: Trumpet, Player
2: Tenor sax/clarinet/bassoon/Soprano sax. Player 3: Also
Sax/Flute/pic/clarinet/Soprano sax/ Bari sax. Player 4 (my favorite)
Tymps/percussion/2nd trumpet.  Player 5: Trombone/Double Bass  Player 6:
Tenor banjo, Bandoneon (?) cello/guitar/Hawaiian Guitar/Mandolin and the
leader  Harmonium/piano/celesta.

Almost all of these are REQUIRED, particularly the Harmonium.  The last
production I was in had to have 17 players just to cover all the
instruments.

While some of the songs (Mac the knife, obviously) adapt well to popular
performance (in spite of the words) most don't.  Still it is a fascinating
show to do and to well worth the listen if you can find a cast record.

I think the reason it hasn't been picked up in jazz more is that (A) the
songs are very text bound and (B) the sounds created by Weill are so unique
that it doesn't adapt well to the jazz band (or standard OKOM combinations).
When you do try to do it, the public that isn't used to the music doesn't
like it and the public that does know the music doesn't like "what you have
done to it."

This is true even though it has some magnificent themes.

I will be glad to discuss this further, on or off line, if anyone is
interested.

Mart

Martin D. McKay (Designated Listener)
St. Augustine, Florida.  (Come on down ---and bring money)