[Dixielandjazz] FW: Benny Goodman

Daniel Barrett danpbarrett at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 12 12:41:34 PDT 2010

From: danpbarrett at hotmail.com
To: vinnyn at verizon.net
Subject: RE: [Dixielandjazz] Benny Goodman
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 12:41:10 -0700

It seems fahsionable to indulge in Benny-bashing. His eccentricity, frugality, and admitted insensitivity make him an easy mark. However, let's not forget he was an iconic figure of the 20th Century, and did a lot of generous things for people behind the scenes. (For instance, I heard he quietly picked up a hefty hospital bill incurred by an ailing Gene Krupa).

Besides,as Oscar Wilde pointed out, the job of an artist is not to be a "nice guy" (I'm of course paraphrasing Wilde here). The artist's job is to create art, which even devout Goodman-haters would have to agree he did.

As Ruby Braff (who idolized Benny) once said, "Yeah..Beny Goodman: the guy everybody hates, and the guy everybody wants to play like!"

--Dan Barrett, a BG fan (And alumnus of BG's last band, 1985-'86)
Costa Mesa, CA