[Dixielandjazz] Benny Goodman, Teddy Wilson, Jess Stacy

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Thu Aug 12 01:59:47 PDT 2010

Harry wrote:

> Why was it that while Jess Stacy was the regular pianist with the Benny Goodman Orchestra,
> when it came to smaller combos, from trio up through quintet,(sextet?) the man on
> the keys was Teddy Wilson?

Musically speaking, and this is strictly my opinion, I think Jess played better behind the big band and Teddy handled the small, hot trio, quartet style much better than Jess.

I knew both of them and unfortunately never thought to ask that question.

--Bob Ringwald

--Bob Ringwald
www.ringwald.com
Fulton Street Jazz Band
916/806-9551
Amateur (Ham) Radio K6YBV

"We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing
 in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle"
-- Winston Churchill