[Dixielandjazz] Teddy Wilson- Jess Stacy & Benny Goodman. Taken further to Fletcher Henderson

Bert Brandsma mister_bertje at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 11 23:13:59 PDT 2010

In 1939 Fletcher Henderson was piano player for a while in the Goodman big band.  To my opinion musically not an improvement compared to Jess Stacy. Fletcher's arranging skills in those years  however were top of the bill. Funny, since he never made such classy arrangements for his own band. The Henderson band mostly used head arrangements that he later transcribed from his own records and sold to Benny. Coleman Hawkins thought this was a big joke. Henderson also had a lot of help arranging from Horace and his wife, former trumpeter Leora. (the original transcrips clearly give proof with their different handwritings)A lot has been said about the early arrangements for Fletcher's band by Don Redman. Recent studies have found proof that they in fact often were stock arrangements by publishing fims, that were a bit changed by Redman or other band members. They were not such original creations as often is thought. More original I guess is the way they were interpretted, with a lot of hot solos.One example is the famous FH recording of Copenhagen with Louis. Bix Beiderbecke allready recorded a quite similar arrangement several months earlier!
To my ears, the best 4 bars in Fletcher's career as a piano player are in the introduction of Flying Home, with the BG sextet. They are irrestistable.

Bert Brandsma   Inialoane 28  9263 RD Garyp   The Netherlands www.dixielandcrackerjacks.com