[Dixielandjazz] Treme

Nita Hemeter nhemeter at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 06:20:04 PDT 2010

So glad to hear that Treme is now in Australia and that Bill and Jess are
hooked.  The buzz in NO is that this is the very first show to get New
Orleans right.  The culture, the accents, the music, the lifestyle are right
on target.  I was watching the show one night with my son and he said, "Mom,
this is the story of our lives".

     Three months after the storm was a weird time for us all.  We didn't
know if the city would come back.   Everything was an ordeal.  I remember
being thrilled when the electricity came back on (I live on the sliver by
the river where there was no flooding) when the newspaper was delivered and
in January when children were back in town.  The devastation was
unbelievable and the first thing people said to each other was "how did you
make out".  I think Treme captures the essence of our city and our people
and I encourage everyone to watch.

     On another matter, thanks for all the kind words about the First New
Orleans Trad Jazz Camp.  Next year will be even better, we have discovered
what works and what doesn't.  It consumed Banu, Leslie and I for a year, we
named ourselves the three crazy broads!  We love our city and its music and
hopefully we did a little bit to preserve both.