[Dixielandjazz] 'Treme' (was Toyama-"Japanese Louis Armstrong" donates musical instruments to kids)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Aug 10 18:11:38 PDT 2010

David M Richoux wrote:
> I was surprised the article did not mention his story being woven into the HBO "Treme" series - he was represented by Japanese actor Tatsuo Ichikawa as "Koichi Toyama."

Dear Dave,
Your mention of 'Treme' prompts me to mention that it started in Australia, as a weekly series on our Foxtel cable network, last month
To my amazement.
I didn't expect it here until late 2011 - early 2012.
Episode 1 was certainly an eyeopener for Jess and me.
A real cultural shock.
We had visited New Orleans for six days in 1975, but this was not it.
And not because of the devastating flood damage.
We had no idea what anyone was saying and the music had changed.
Apart from Annie and Albert, trying to remember the other characters by name was almost impossible.
Antoine Batiste, Davis McAlary, LaDonna Batiste-Williams, Creighton Bernette, Delmond Lambreaux, Janette Desautel, etc.
The music and soundtrack clips were fine, but the attempt to fit everyone into the storyline on the first night was overwhelming.
For us.
However, we decided to give it another chance. Then another. And it has all started to fall into place.
Tonight (Wednesday) is Episode 5 and we're hooked.
Very kind regards,
Bill.