[Dixielandjazz] Toyama-"Japanese Louis Armstrong" donates musical instruments to kids

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Tue Aug 10 13:38:04 PDT 2010

To: DJML

From:  F. Norman Vickers, Jazz society of Pensacola

At the request of our dear moderator, Bob Ringwald, I am posting this also
on DJML.  It was sent to the Musicians and Jazzfans list originally.  There
is, of course, some overlap.  If you are on both, you are twice-loved!
(smile)

fnv

Here's a link to New Orleans' Times-Picayune with story about Japanese jazz
trumpeter, Yoshio Toyama, "Japanese Louis Armstrong"  He and wife and group
come to NO each year for Satchmo Summerfest and bring donated instruments
for the underprivileged kids.  WE got to see them this year at Satchmo
Summerfest.  His lovely wife plays piano with that group.  They performed
for Friday night's "Strut" along Frenchman street in back of the French
Quarter-this is where many of the jazz clubs have moved as Bourbon Street
has gotten trashier and more touristy.

I'll try to write a summary of the Satchmo Summerfest and post here, along
with some photos, soon.

<http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&q=http://www.nola.com/music/index.ssf/2010/0
8/yoshio_toyama_and_wilbert_rawl.html&ct=ga&cad=:s1:f2:v0:d1:i0:lt:e2:p2:t12
81447297:&cd=uwlWw1BWCZM&usg=AFQjCNFEj4xeN6i0I-NniLVpUAWT6FqhCg> Yoshio
Toyama, Wilbert Rawlins share love of music and New Orleans kids
NOLA.com
John McCusker / The Times-PicayuneYoshio Toyama, sometimes called the
Japanese Louis Armstrong, plays with the O. Perry Walker College and Career
Prep jazz ...

<http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&q=http://news.google.com/news/story%3Fncl%3D
http://www.nola.com/music/index.ssf/2010/08/yoshio_toyama_and_wilbert_rawl.h
tml%26hl%3Den%26geo%3Dus&ct=ga&cad=:s1:f2:v0:d1:i0:lr:e2:p2:t1281447297:&cd=
uwlWw1BWCZM&usg=AFQjCNG3H7Dle2OamEHd4qkZQaeGkK2BEQ> See all stories on this
topic >

--End--