[Dixielandjazz] Drummer and Jazz Society exec Hal Smith to Join Jim Cullum

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Tue Aug 10 13:20:26 PDT 2010

To: DJML

From:  Norman Vickers, Jazz Society of Pensacola

Dear Listmates:  I posted this on the Musicians and Jazzfans list.  At the
suggestion of Bob Ringwald, our beloved moderator, I am also posting this
for DJML friends.  Thanks.

Gleaned from front page of the Summer 2010 Jazz Rambler, Newsletter of
America's Finest City Dixieland Jazz Society, San Diego.

HAL SMITH SET TO LEAVE AFCDJS

  Hal Smith, who has served as AFCDJS Board Member, President Assistant
Director, Member of the Festival Steering Committee and Adult Jazz Camp
Assistant Director, is leaving the organization in July.

He will join the Jim Cullum Jazz Band on July 10, performing five nights a
week at the Landing, located in the Hyatt Regency Hotel on the Riverwalk in
San Antonio, Texas.

To view the list of upcoming tour dates for the Jim Cullum Jazz Band and
information regarding its "Riverwalk" broadcasts, check the website at
www.riverwalkjazz.org.

Hal Smith's calendar, which includes a few remaining dates with other
groups, is available on the "schedule" page of his website at
www.halsmithmusic.com

Those of us who have had the pleasure of working with him all these years
will sorely miss him, but wish him great success in his new endeavor.

----

Now a few personal words about Hal.  He has been a great friend to me
personally and to the  Jazz Society of Pensacola.  He lived and worked in
the New Orleans area in the 80s-90s.  He appeared at our Pensacola Jazz
Parties 89-91 and brought his groups to Pensacola JazzFest , once in 1990
which included vocalist Rebecca Kilgore.  Then a few years later he came
with a group which included pianist Carl Sonny Leyland.

Hal contributed historical articles about jazz personalities to the "Jazz
Rambler" and other publications.  A lesser known fact is that he was
fascinated with trains and was a train history buff.

We wish Hal great success as he joins the Jim Cullum Jazz Band.  We'll
likely hear more of him on the Jim Cullum, "Jazz From the Landing" show
which is broadcast on NPR affiliates.

Good wishes, Hal!

Norman

--end--