[Dixielandjazz] Louis Armstrong and Lotte Lenya

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Tue Aug 10 12:43:38 PDT 2010

DJML member Bob Smith robert.smith at tele2.no sent me an MP3 of Armstrong and Lenya singing "Mac The Knife" from a NPR program.
It is the completed version of the recording I was speaking of earlier.

In the segment I heard somewhere, Louis was trying to get Lotte to get the phrasing right to end the song.  She just could not do it -- She couldn't swing.  Louis kept saying "No No" and then trying to teach her the phrasing over and over.

On the MP3 that Bob sent to me, the song is ended with a band ensemble.  Obviously Lenya never could get the ending right so the arrangement was changed to end with a band ensemble.

Does anyone have the out take?

--Bob Ringwald
www.ringwald.com
Fulton Street Jazz Band
916/806-9551
Amateur (Ham) Radio K6YBV

"We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing
 in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle"
-- Winston Churchill