[Dixielandjazz] New Orleans Adult Jazz Camp and Music Scene

Katie Cavera kcavera at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 9 20:32:28 PDT 2010

I'd like to chime in also and say I had a fantastic time!  The people in the
city of New Orleans were amazingly warm and open and genuinely happy to have us
there.  People at the hotel, in the shops, and in the restaurants and bars,
became fast friends in addition to the wonderful people in conjunction with the
camp. I was amazed by the fact that at many of the jazz clubs, the local pros
onstage were gladly inviting people up onstage with them.  And the first night
we were there, Tim Laughlin invited us all over to his house to jam.  That's
right - he invited *everyone* at the camp over on the spur of the moment - just
because he and his wife thought it would be a 'nice thing to do.'

Ginny and Larry and Rich and all you other DJMLers that were there - it was so
nice to connect faces to the people, and wasn't it great meeting people from all
over the world that love this music as much as we do?  I about fell on the floor
that night at the "Burboun Oh" when our friend from Argentina played Louis
Armstrong's solo note for note on "Potato Head Blues."  Chuck and Peggy who are
on this list and real diehard fans of traditional jazz were also there as part
of the "Jazz Lovers" group.  I had a nice visit with them Friday night at the
Bombay Club where we were listening to Banu's group and even though they don't
play any instruments they both said that they had a wonderful time and got a
unique view of both the jazz camp and the city of New Orleans.  I hope next year
they get an even bigger turnout for the camp, and I'm looking forward to
reuniting with all our camp friends again there next year!
- Katie

ps - I'll let you know when I post "New Orleans Sock Monkey" on youtube.  I'm
just starting to go through all the footage!
 http://www.katiecavera.com
http://www.youtube.com/kcavera