[Dixielandjazz] It's that song, aaaaaaaargh!

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Mon Aug 9 16:08:57 PDT 2010

Mourners at the funeral of the late Peter Sellers discovered that he had not
been just kidding when he said he'd grown to hate IN THE MOOD so intensely as a
young musician that he would have it played at his funeral.

In my own past performing career I was once asked to do a song and obliged, and
not until later did I realise that the request had been made in order to annoy
someone present at the event. Not my fondest memory (it was not a jazz gig,
either). Almost enough to put me off doing the same tume again.

There is another version of the "it's that song" which crops up in connection
with the recently departed and in my personal experience very friendly Jack
Parnell.  Jack alternated with Oliver Jackson at the dry run of the Carnegie
Hall fiftieth anniversary concert masterminded by Bob Wilber in Edinburgh. I
remarked to him later on the delight of watching Oliver dance with Mrs. Wilber
on-stage as an enhancement of the music -- seeing Oliver, who had begun as a
dancer, enhanced the swing being imparted overall. Jack said lovely things about
Oliver, and Oliver said lovely things about Jack later the same day.

The concert was not however appreciated by a press reviewer -- who seemed to
have expected a different order of swing from that which the band onstage
produced -- whose sound was 1938 rather than the later period and brassier sort
of thing he might have supposed he'd be hearing.  He was also highly critical of
the programming of the same standards by the various jamming ensembles -- which
was some sort of a point -- and he went on to say that if he heard "In a Mellow
Tone" again he would head for the hills.

In respect of the unhappy review of the concert Humphrey Lyttelton on his radio
show subsequently dedicated a lengthy performance of the number to the reviewer,
in the hope that he would take that route . . .