[Dixielandjazz] Jack Parnell RIP

Daniel Barrett danpbarrett at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 9 19:04:02 PDT 2010

Dear DJML,

I was sorry to hear of Jack Parnell's passing. I am proud to have played with him--albeit only a few times--many years ago at the Edinburgh Festival. (The fine musician Dave Shephard was the clarinetist). I remember Mr. Parnell as being genuinely friendly and affable, and easily one of the very best drummer with whom I've ever shared a stage. I've since found out more about him, and his fame through television and recordings with Ted Heath, his own bands, etc.

Still, whenever his name has come up in the ensuing years, I've automatically thought: "Oh, yeah..that friendly, ultra-swinging drummer I played with in Edinburgh."

There are better eulogies, but I hope Mr. Parnell would be pleased at being remembered like this.

23 Skidoo,

--Dan Barrett
southern California.