[Dixielandjazz] New Orleans Adult Jazz Camp and Music Scene

lrg4003 at aol.com lrg4003 at aol.com
Mon Aug 9 16:18:39 PDT 2010

I want to quickly echo Ginny's comments on the Jazz Camp this week which I also attended.  First rate staff (including Connie Jones, trumpeter these days with Pete Fountain) and reed player Otis Bazoon, former Dukes of Dixieland band member who continues to play everywhere around New Orleans.
All of the pro's were extremely generous with their time and support.

There were also some excellent opportunities to jam.  On one set I was playing at Frtzel's (along with Maison Bourbon one of the last true jazz joints left standing on Bourbon St.), Don Vappie popped over to join us.  Banu Gibson sat in for a bit at a jam at the Bourbon Oh and Tim Laughlin hosted an
impromptu jam session one night.  Also had a chance to march with the Treme Brass Band in a Second Line parade, play a little at Preservation Hall and be part of a group that opened the SatchmoJazzFest on the Red Beans and Ricely stage.  Top it off with all of the great music at the festival (Kermit Ruffian among others and a superb set featuring Connie Jones, Tim Laughlin and Otis Bazoon, among others there's no sign trad jazz is missing in
action in New Orleans.  And, along with some of the younger performers in camp, the audience, at least at Fritzel's covered a very wide age range.

Next year's camp is schedule to begin July 31.

KC Clarinet