[Dixielandjazz] SO THAT'S WHAT ALL THE FUSS WAS ABOUT

James O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Sat Aug 7 07:25:15 PDT 2010

Dan Barrett wrote, in part:

> [Rebecca Kilgore] not only knows each and every key of
> each and every song she sings, but she even prepares her own
> lead sheets!

A true professional is more interested in giving a good performance than in
having the world revolve around him/her, and this is one way to ensure a
good performance. I've been in open jam sets with amateur players & singers,
where a singer will want to do a given song in a non-standard key, but
hasn't bothered to bring lead sheets in that key -- but the amateur players
aren't always able to transpose the way top professionals usually can.)

> ... many great musicians who know her often say "she's a great
> MUSICIAN" before they say "she's a great SINGER." Naturally,
> they think she's a great singer, but the title of "musician"
> trumps "singer" ...

And on top of all this, Rebecca is a VERY nice person, too -- as is Dan
Barrett.

Jim O'Briant
Gilroy, CA