[Dixielandjazz] The Music of Kenny Davern

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 6 12:36:13 PDT 2010

> John Petters <jdpetters at btinternet.com> wrote (polite snip)
>
>>> The index also includes a complete discography of Davern's recorded
>>> history including the album he did as a sideman with listmate John
>>> Petters in 1985, Essex England: "Live and Swinging, Kenny Davern and
>>> John Petters Swing Band"  CMJ (E) CD001.
> If it is complete, it should also have the Trio session I did along
> with
> Martin Litton which George Buck issued as Playing For Kicks - Kenny
> Davern Big Three. Not the easiest of sessions, recorded at London's
> Pizza Express.
> Kenny was in a bad mood. You can cut that press roll c**p, he said
> to me
> and told Martin to cut that lumpy Jelly Roll s**t!

Mea Culpa John, That session is included. Jazzology JCD 197, and
cassette JC 001.  London, November 24 1985. Along with a note that one
of the tunes, "Willie The Weeper" was also issued on RRMC 1004 as a
limited edition cassette entitled "John Petters Meets The
International Legends of Traditional Jazz."

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband