[Dixielandjazz] The Music of Kenny Davern

John Petters jdpetters at btinternet.com
Fri Aug 6 14:37:12 PDT 2010

> Mea Culpa John, That session is included. Jazzology JCD 197, and
> cassette JC 001. London, November 24 1985. Along with a note that one of
> the tunes, "Willie The Weeper" was also issued on RRMC 1004 as a limited
> edition cassette entitled "John Petters Meets The International Legends
> of Traditional Jazz."

Hi Steve,
Yes, I put the cassette out over here first. Couldn't afford to do CDs
in 1985!

I'd forgotten about the International Legends cassette. That had some
Wild Bill, Yank, Art Hodes, Ken Colyer, Wally Fawkes and probably some
George Chisholm tracks. Can't remember now.

I think we had several unissued Davern trios from the November session.

Kenny did a session with Cy Laurie, which we didn't record. He asked for
requests. He got "Begin the Beguine', 'Memories of You' and 'Bergundy St
Blues'.

"I'm not Artie Shaw, I'm not Benny Goodman and I'm not George Lewis", he
said.

Then a voice from the audience shouted out Pee Wee's Blues.
"That's interesting - why?"

"Because Andre Beeson played it last week".

"That's a good reason", said Kenny.

He played a superb version - pure Davern.

Afterwards he said, " I thought you might have expected this". and he
played it pure Pee Wee style.

A great artiste and one who taught me about acoustic music and it was
not only a pleasure, but an honour to know him.

Ken's story about playing a having to play a drum solo on a very slow
blues would be typical of the man.

John
'
John Petters