[Dixielandjazz] Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 92, Issue 8

John Petters jdpetters at btinternet.com
Fri Aug 6 09:56:20 PDT 2010

 >> The index also includes a complete discography of Davern's recorded
 >> history including the album he did as a sideman with listmate John
 >> Petters in 1985, Essex England: "Live and Swinging, Kenny Davern and
  John
 >> Petters Swing Band"  CMJ (E) CD001.
If it is complete, it should also have the Trio session I did along with
Martin Litton which George Buck issued as Playing For Kicks - Kenny
Davern Big Three. Not the easiest of sessions, recorded at London's
Pizza Express.
Kenny was in a bad mood. You can cut that press roll c**p, he said to me
and told Martin to cut that lumpy Jelly Roll s**t!

We'd been doing a series of trio gig prior to the recording which swung
like the clappers, all of us playing in our own natural styles.

On 'Sometimes I'm happy', there was a four bar chase chorus just with
Kenny & Martin. Every take broke down until take 7. We were in the last
chorus and we knew this was the one. Someone started to come down the
stairs. The recording engineer got up to warn them, tripped over the
headphone lead, pulled it out and a howl of feedback swamped the closing
bars. "That sure as hell got all f****d up" said Kenny.

Next day we played at the Royal Festival Hall in London. From the start
the session took off. "Where's god-damn numbnuts with his microphones
now", said Kenny.

The 'Live & Swinging' CD came from a session in Harlow recorded by Essex
Radio on the Sony F1 digital system. It was with my swing band with
Roger Nobes, vibes, Martin Litton, piano and Keith Donald, bass. Kenny
had a go at the audience. He asked if everyone could hear him (we played
acoustically). Someone shouted,"No".
"Go listen to a rock band", was Kenny's response.

The remainder of the session I put out on 'Makin' Whoopee', along with
the album I made with Yank Lawson.

I have recording of a fun session with Kenny and Art Hodes, made at
Eastbourne, which may get released someday.

Working with Kenny could be fun or not, depending upon his mood - but he
always produced great music, which was instantly identifiable. He knew
where jazz came from and he respected its tradition.

--
John Petters
www.traditional-jazz.com