[Dixielandjazz] OF POSSIBLE INTEREST

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 10:20:11 PDT 2010

Along the lines of my wanting to learn at least one new thing each day,
while researching Ray Conniff, I came to discover that Dick Cathcart (who
figured into our recent "Pete Kelly's Blues" thread as the cornet player
dubbing Jack Webb) lent his tenor voice to the Ray Conniff Singers during
the 1960s.

While there, I edited the Wikipedia page to include a 1962 album that he
recorded with Billy Butterfield entitled, "Just Kiddin' Around".  I just
obtained the CD yesterday and was reminded that Ray & Billy played trombone
and trumpet together many years earlier with Artie Shaw.

I dare say that this album is far superior to the 1959 "Conniff Meets
Butterfield" which just had Billy playing along with the vocal chorus.

Then switching over to the Wikipedia page on Cathcart himself, I found out
something else I had not known.  During the same period that he was with the
Conniff chorus, he played trumpet with Lawrence Welk's orchestra and also
married one of the Lennon Sisters.

Having now contributed something new, I guess I can now spend the remainder
of the day concertrating on baseball..........being particularly interested
in seeing former Houston Astros' Lance Berkman appearing in a NY Yankees
uniform.

Sure, I've been in Houston for 35 years but when it comes to baseball, my
heart is still in NY.......

Batter up
HC

--
Some men see things as they are and say why....I dream things that never
were and say why not            -