[Dixielandjazz] Outer Drive

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Fri Apr 30 10:17:16 PDT 2010

Richard wrote:

"Have you a jacket similar to Earle Warren's? Wonder what the colours were?"

At a guess, I'd say numerous and loud. Great clip too and lovely to see Buck, Buddy, Earl, Emmett, Sir Charles, Gene Ramey and (I think) Oliver Jackson in action in their prime. This was basically the band which toured Europe, except that Dicky Wells was on the tour. Maybe he was just too tired and emotional to make the film session (he was known for liking a wee refreshment, as we say euphemistically in Glasgow). Incidentally my band plays that tune, Outer Drive and quite a few other tunes that were on Buck's great album Songs fro Swingers.

Cheers,

Ken Mathieson
www.classicjazzorchestra.org.uk