[Dixielandjazz] Frank Sinatra-themed "American Idol" with Harry Connick

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Fri Apr 30 06:26:36 PDT 2010

I have to confess that I have never watched American Idol.  But I just might watch this one.

Broadway Vet Harry Connick, Jr. to Mentor, Orchestrate and Perform on 'American Idol'
by Ernio Hernandez
Playbill.com, April 29, 2010

It's not Broadway Week, but the May 4 "American Idol" will come pretty close. "Pajama
Game" veteran Harry Connick, Jr. will appear on the popular reality competition series,
with the remaining five contestants singing the songs of Frank Sinatra.
Connick, Jr. will appear as a guest mentor and help the finalists -- Crystal Bowersox,
Lee DeWyze, Casey James, Aaron Kelly and Michael Lynche -- prepare to sing the music
of Sinatra (whose music is currently featured on Broadway in Twyla Tharp's "Come
Fly Away").
The singer-songwriter will also mark the first time an "American Idol" mentor will
arrange the songs, write the orchestrations for the contestants and perform, according
to Fox. Connick, Jr. will sing on the May 5 results show. Pop songstress Lady Gaga
will also perform.
The hour-long Sinatra-themed "American Idol" will air May 4 at 8 PM and May 5 at
9 PM. (All times ET live/PT tape-delayed.)
Crooner Connick Jr. will return to Broadway this summer (July 15-26) for an 11-performance
concert engagement at the Neil Simon Theatre. The Tony Award nominee for his turn
in the Broadway revival of "The Pajama Game" also earned a Tony nom for Best Score
to his musical "Thou Shalt Not." The three-time Grammy Award winner has also appeared
in the films "Hope Floats," "Little Man Tate," "Copycat," "Independence Day" and
"P.S., I Love You" as well as on television's "Will and Grace."
For more information about "American Idol," visit
http://www.americanidol.com/

--Bob Ringwald
Amateur (ham) Radio call sign K6YBV
www.ringwald.com
Fulton Street Jazz Band
916/806-9551

Doesn't "expecting the unexpected" make the unexpected expected?