[Dixielandjazz] Calling Dutch and Flemmish listamtes

Bert Brandsma mister_bertje at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 22 13:13:38 PDT 2010

Hello Dave,
This one is going to be hard to explain, but I'll give it a try.
Het Fluitekruidt   is a name with a few tricks.
In the first place, the correct Dutch name for the flower is Fluitekruid, so without the t at the ending.Another thing, Fluit means Flute, so a musical instrument.
When the band started there were several people in the band that studied Dutch language.
They made up the name, this way since it is kind of double.
the word "het' in front of Fluitekruid , would mean : the flower.
But with the extra T behind it, suddenly the meaning also can be seen something like :
The flower is fluting. (Or playing the flute)
So it is a kind of intelectual wordplay, a bit hard to translate, but I hope you will get an idea.
Kind regards,
Bert Brandsmawww.dixielandcrackerjacks.com