[Dixielandjazz] JAZZ WAX ARTICLE - The death trap of early jazz.

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Apr 21 14:28:30 PDT 2010

Stephen G Barbone passed on a suggested list of 10 CDs JazzWax contributor, Marc Myers, would:
"...play or buy for a beginner who's curious about the music. And do so in the following order, to draw in the person little by little."

> Bill Evans—How My Heart Sings (1962)
> Oscar Peterson—Plays the Jerome Kern Songbook (1956)
> Dave Brubeck—Jazz Impressions of Eurasia (1958)
> Miles Davis—Musings of Miles (1955)
> Sonny Rollins—Newk's Time (1957)
> Lee Morgan—Lee-Way (1960)
> Red Garland—It's a Blue World (1958)
> Coleman Hawkins—Night Hawk (1960)
> John Coltrane—Stardust (1958)
> Jack McDuff—The Honeydripper (1961)

Dear Steve,
No tongue-in-cheek this time from one-eyed Billy.
Here is another jazz authority (one of many) who appears to think jazz started in 1956.
The list of interviews accompanying his blog site would certainly indicate his bias.
Not only are NONE of the ten nominated CDs in my vast jazz record collection, I have never heard a track from any of them!
To recommend this list of CDs as an introduction to real jazz would be to push kids away from our music, probably for good.
Very kind regards,
Bill.