[Dixielandjazz] FW: Goin' to Chicago

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sun Apr 18 11:09:35 PDT 2010

>My husband and I will be in Chicago May 6-May 14.  Where can we hear OKOM?
Lurker Lois

I asked the same question a few years ago, and ended up getting in contact
with the now late Chicago trombonist Jim Beebe (who later joined DJML before
his death).  Jim directed me to the dinner jazz club Andy's (you can look it
up while there...it's very easy to get to being just off the Miracle Mile,
or the Magnificent Mile or whatever they call the main drag there!).  I seem
to recall that they play fairly early in the evening...7pm ish, for the
dinner crowd.  $5 got us in.  Dinner was ok, and prices ok.  You can just
drink & listen also.  Trombonist Russ Phillips was there, along with Kim
Cusack on clarinet & Bob Neighbor on trumpet.

Another inexpensive to get into place (also $5 cover) was the Underground
Blues Wonder Bar (hard to get that last word right!) owned by the lady
pianist.  She had a young group with her.  Label it loud, gritty rock &
roll/blues...not Jazz, but excellent musicians.  This is just off of State
Street.

I'm actually going to be in Chicago myself for one nite at the end of the
month if volcano clouds allow me to make the trip!  :>

Jim