[Dixielandjazz] George Probert

David M Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Tue Apr 13 21:47:58 PDT 2010

As Bob will remember from some performances with Tom Wiggen's New
Orleans Brass Band we have done together, the tradition of those
ensembles playing very long versions of songs frequently happens. Some
dirges and even "up" songs can easily go on for 20 or 30 minutes. This
gets pretty old quickly for tuba players, playing every chorus! It may
be reasoned that it is harder to start or stop a tune with a large
ensemble...

Probert's recording of Canal St. with Natural Gas I mentioned earlier
was also very slow tempo. BTW.

Dave RIchoux